Thursday, January 15, 2015

My Iron Stone Addiction




I have a confession.  Over the last year I have begun collecting ironstone and  I love it.  I love that they are white and clean, or chippy and yellowed and have a little crazing on them.  I love that I can find old pieces with history and vintage pieces too.  I love the hunt for iron stone.  Most of all, I love decorating with ironstone pieces around the house. 

If you're not familiar with ironstone, it's harder than earthenware and stronger than porcelain. It can be white, or cream colored and some have transfer ware patterns on them.  Ironstone is typically heavy.  Here's a little history...white ironstone china was patented by Charles James Mason in Staffordshire, England in 1813.  In 1840 they began exporting it to America.  All of the iron stone I have collected so far is from England and from various makers, however I just found an amazing pitcher that was made by the Akron Queensware Co between 1891-1894.  I love it. and its the first piece in my pitcher collection. It's about 13 inches or so tall and is showing some wear, but that's doesn't matter to me! 

What do you think?  Like it? Not your thing? Do you like the imperfect perfection of ironstone? 

I am on the lookout for more pitchers for this new collection, but I won't go all "hoarder" on it, I just want enough to actually call it a small collection for my own home, then I will sell the others.  I have a nice collection of plates and cups that will be in the Etsy shop soon.  Ironstone is great for decorating in the kitchen and dining room, on a shelf or even creating a plate wall. 





No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

Blog Design by Get Polished