Sunday, October 4, 2015

Out with the New, In with Old? How to Love an Eclectic Home

Remember when you were first starting out in life as an adult and all you really wanted was a nice house with nice new furniture so you could get rid of the college dorm look or the hand me downs from friends and your parents?  Maybe that was just me? 


I remember those days.  I remember trying to paint and fix up and craft things even in my early twenties.  I was always doing something to my furniture when I had the chance.  I painted lamps and made pillows or created wall art from a cheap blanket.  I had tricks up my sleeve even when I had no money.  I have always had the decorating bug, I was an art major too for a while anyway.....but it took years of decor fails and successes to get where I am today.

Where am I today?  Well, I'm no expert, but I'm comfortable enough to make mistakes and try new things.  I still have rooms that are half done in my opinion and others that need an overhaul, but still others that I love just as they are (for now) until I change my mind again!  That happens, a lot.  I'm in a place that allows me to be okay with getting rid of perfectly good coffee tables and side tables to make way for things I love that fit the look I'm creating.  To sell a perfectly nice bed and build my own tufted headboard in its place.


My living room has gone through major changes over the last 10 years that we've lived in our current house.  Not only with paint, but with everything except the three major furniture pieces.  The couch, love seat and chair are the same.  They are neutral and go with whatever colors I gravitate toward and I love that kind of versatility.  I sold the new furniture and brought in old pieces that I collected over time and refinished myself. 


So much of the room is a mesh of old and "new-to-me" pieces.  The one piece we purchased new (other than the seating) is the entertainment center and the tv.  The entertainment center is going to be painted this year, but I'm saving that for a winter project. 


The best advice I can give is this....Don't be afraid to mix it up!  You can have pieces you love that you don't have to feel married to because of the cost.  Don't be a shopping snob either...go high price, low price, swapped, thrifted, estate sale, garage sale, flea market, roadside rescue or whatever your budget will allow.  If you're open to the possibilities, you can create a room you love that will evolve with you.


Family heirlooms are the exception of course.  I'd have a hard time parting with them if I had any furniture pieces like that but I don't.  Creating a look you can change and love throughout the year is easy when you have versatility and no guilt, I think that is really key. Have fun and take risks!

Have a great week friends! 



4 comments :

  1. Great advice! Mix-it up is always, always the best idea. :)

    Love your eclectic decor!

    Happy day!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my favorite things in my home came from estate sales, garage sales and thrift stores. My favorite things to hunt for are blue and white vases and dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristin! Yes, some of mine too! I love hunting for treasures. I'm having a serious love affair with ironstone and transfer ware dishes this year, love them! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!

Blog Design by Get Polished