Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Hall Closet Makeover

Hi Friends, are you ready for a closet transformation?  

Not gonna lie, the hall closet looked like a tornado hit it and FEMA never shown up to help me.  Okay, so this is not a federal emergency, but I'm pretty sure that if my closet could talk, it would beg to differ ;) It's been this way for a while and I just kept shoving more things in there and closing the door.  Out of site out of mind, right?


Well, I couldn't take it anymore and decided that the time had come to do something about it.  I didn't get all crazy and paint the inside or buy fancy bins and baskets.  I love pretty spaces, don't get me wrong, but when it comes to this hall closet, right now, I'm all about the utility of it and reusing what I have to make it work for us.    

Here's how I tackled this project:

First, I decided how I wanted to use the closet space. I wanted a place for a few coats, the downstairs vacuum and misc. items we use like light bulbs, tealights, batteries, and extra paper towels and toilet paper, first aid kit and extra hats and gloves.  All the little things like tealights and batteries have floated from drawer to drawer in the kitchen over the years but I'm in the process of organizing all of the drawers in there so these things needed to come out and find a new home.

If you're organizing a closet, do what works for the way you live in your home!

Next, I emptied the closet and hung the wire organizer on the door. I sorted through all the items I took out.  Coats were put in the donate pile. I had about 12 coats in this closet! Many items were either relocated or tossed/donated. I put items in bins that were previously loose on the shelf and labeled every container. 




I'm happy with the way it turned out, it's very user friendly and there's room for new items down the road.  

If I can share one piece of advice, it would be to make sure you leave room for new items if needed. A little breathing room is always nice and your closet will thank you! 

2 comments :

  1. Great tip on leaving room for new things! And I applaud any organization because I need to work on mine. :)

    Happy day friend!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tackled my entire kitchen recently too, cabinet by cabinet, drawer by drawer...it is so much better now. Yes, about leaving room for new things...Not sure why it took me so long to realize that....it never fails, I go to put something new in there in a hurry and inevitably, I loose patience and cram it in the drawer/closet whatever...that's how they become messy! The beginning of the end, lol.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!

Blog Design by Get Polished